It’s February and it is the month of love! What a perfect opportunity to talk about natural ways we can keep our heart healthy. Unfortunately, many of us fall short of the key nutrients needed to keep our ticker-tocking. We either get too busy and fall victim to eating fast food, or we simply don’t know how to incorporate heart-healthy foods into our diet. That’s one of the reasons why I became a Nutritional Therapist. I wanted to show people how fun and easy it is to eat a diet full of nutrient-dense foods, especially when it comes to promoting heart health. Here are five of my favorite tips that you can start implementing right away, helping you get on the path to optimal wellness.
- Get your good fats: If you love fish or avocados, you are in luck! Studies have shown that a heart healthy diet should include omega-3 fatty acids, helping to lower your risk of getting heart disease. Healthy fish include salmon, tuna, and mackerel. If you are a vegan, try incorporating flax seeds, chia seeds, and walnuts into your diet to get this beneficial fat. I personally take two fish oil capsules every morning to keep my heart healthy. I find that when I’m busy, this is the best way for me to get those beneficial fats into my body. I also like to add some flax seeds to my morning smoothie. Super easy and very beneficial!
- The magic of magnesium: Now of course it is important to talk to your doctor or local healthcare practitioner before adopting a new supplement routine. If you speak with them about ways that you can promote heart health, chances are they may recommend you taking magnesium, a mineral that has been shown to help lower blood pressure and promote relaxed blood vessels.
- B vitamins: Certain types of B vitamins, like folic acid and vitamin B6 and B12 may aid in reducing levels of homocysteine, a substance that has been implicated in the development of heart disease. Natural Vitality makes an awesome product called Organic Life Vitamins that contains the B vitamins needed to stay healthy and happy. It tastes great and it’s so easy to add to any smoothie recipe. Best of all? It features 24 organic super fruits, veggies like goji and pomegranate, giving your body a beneficial boost of nutrients. Learn more about it here.
- Stop stressing. I know that this is easier said than done but we really need to chill out. Stress takes a massive toll on the body and can leave us feeling mentally and physically drained. That’s why I am so evangelical about soaking in a warm bath EVERYDAY, especially if you are under a lot of stress. It’s a wonderful ritual that aids in relaxing or mind body and spirit. Try using Natural Vitality Natural Calm Bath as it gives you a beneficial opportunity to unwind from the stresses of daily living. I love that Natural Calm Bath has a unique combination of premium Natural Calm® magnesium and pristine Brazilian gourmet sea salt. You can learn more about it here.
- Move your booty: The American Heart Association has recommended 30 minutes of aerobic exercise every single day in order to keep our heart healthy. Now, I know that this can be a lot especially if you have a busy schedule. Why not try splitting up that 30 minutes over the course of the day? Get outside and walk around for 10 minutes at a time! If walking isn’t your thing, come home at night and tuning into some workout routine on your TV. I know plenty of programs that are on demand or available on YouTube. Find one that’s right for you that you can look forward to doing every day. The key is to have fun so you stick with your exercise regimen.